Deity Development Group

HomeGallerySearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
A facebook Like button scrolling innocently across the screen? Better press it.

Share | 

Story: Bandit Country

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Zedralan
Administrator

Moderation Level : ZERO
Experience : 535

PostSubject: Story: Bandit Country   Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:04 am

When war becomes less of a human conflict than a slaughter by machines, the line is crossed. Sure, movies and the like predict an uprising by the machines and they kill their human masters and destroying the world. But when the human masters are the ones destroying the world much changes.

It's 2014, two years after the Roboton were activated. Designed by the Japanese and manufactured by China, funded by America but with global interest, the machines could be remote controlled or work on their own AI system. They ended all of the wars of the time, and stopped any from happening between humans ever again after because of the fear they produced. Supposedly decommissioned, they were hidden deep in the middle of China. Buried far beneath a nondescript warehouse.

Their designer, Aiko Kobayashi, resurrected the robots with a team of controllers. Three assembly lines were created, fully automatic, and churned robots out by the thousand. Soon there were two billion robots in the world, all armed to the teeth and programmed to be merciless with their attack and even their defeat. They were all armed with powerful explosive devices should they be captured.

By 2013 the robots had cleared almost the entire population of China and Russia, only those with the money to flee survived. The Americans lead the "World Combined Army", or WCA as it was known. This force of billions, practically anyone who was healthy enough to be trained and armed, was the last stand of humanity. On new years eve, 2014, humans were reduced to less than a million and the constant bombings and fighting had left the lands looking truly broken.

The million humans were split in four ways, and of those four ways each was split again in two. Eight regular bases surrounding the world with the main base deep in the north pole. Radio communication had proved almost impossible, the robots jamming every frequency available and transmitting signals on the one they used themselves. Carrier pigeons were used, as when the world is brought to it's knees the flying rat prospers, and eventually caught the attention of the robotic masters. Now more than fifty pigeons are tasked to deliver single messages, only three are ever expected to survive the trip.

Roaming death tanks covered most cities to deter looters from the valuable canned foods and other supplies, and bandits had all but taken over everywhere else. It was truly the collapse of humanity... but humans are the most resilient creature on the planet, known to survive natural disasters with technology and wisdom...

Kilo Braille was one such resilient creature. He was one of the bandit leaders who had survived this long. Unlike others who had set up on open fields to see the oncoming enemy, he had fortified the forest. It proved a difficult road for those not native, land mines and electro magnetic traps dotted the landscape to ensure this. Before all this happened, Kilo was just an average thirteen year old kid. But now he was a fifteen year old leader of people decades older than him.

Many times had the WCA tried to take their supplies or even recruit them to the cause, but to all bandits their ways did not suit. Bandits enjoyed doing what they wanted when they did and were truly effective in ways the WCA could never be. Every bandit was forced to provide for themselves, and this lead to many powerful soldiers who knew where to get food and fresh water for themselves should anything ever happen to their leader. Those too weak, but still required, were cared for however. Children, the elderly, and some women were protected valiantly. The children were nurtured, and taught the ways of survival as well as basic schooling. The elderly were all relied on to be the fonts of knowledge they so commonly are. And those women who didn't have the determination to match the men were given the option of remaining in camp, a safer place than the wastelands.

ONE

Kilo looked over his people from the high tower centred in the forest. It was just below the tree line to be invisible but still offer a viewing point. Everyone was below him, the hunters who had stopped by to rest and have a full meal, the children to played happily despite the madness, and the older people who could be found either telling enthralling tales, working, or resting. The women were more varied. Some stood in the tree stands as guards, some prepared the upcoming meals, some were even hunters who like the male counterparts stopped to rest. One easily stood out from the crowd.

Alice Hart, once a daughter of a lawyer but now one of the most well known hunters. She had blazing natural red hair and cute freckles that made her seem almost innocent. This was somewhat nullified by the three guns over her back and the ammunition strapped anywhere available. The first gun was a shotgun for close quarters combat, a fully automatic model for quick deconstruction. The second was an AK47 assault rifle, with a scope and laser sight, for mid to long rage combat. The third was truly a rare sight, a rotary barrel grenade launcher for dealing with death tanks. She wore six bandoleers and eight modified leg and arm straps for the ammunition that would be a rare find. Also, she had a cross country dirtbike, a 2008 Kawasaki 450 Enduro that she had somewhere along the line painted a forest camouflage.

Kilo dropped down the the ground on the reeled handhold, an addition he made and added himself. 'Oh, Kilo, I got you a present!' Alice beamed 'Alright, what is it?' Alice started walking and Kilo followed.

They came to a dump truck 'Gee, thanks,' Alice jumped up on the back of the truck and climbed in. With a loud grunt the back panel came free and clattered to the ground as some sort of makeshift ramp. Inside the truck was a large array of canned food, ammunition (whatever didn't fit Alice's weapons), a number of kitchen supplies, and Alice's bike. Kilo retrieved his jaw from a foot off of the ground and laughed loudly 'Nice, huh?' Kilo nodded and yelled out for some of the hunters to join him unloading. Alice wheeled her bike off with her as Kilo and the hunters unloaded.

After three minutes the five heavily muscled hunters and the somewhat muscled Kilo had cleaned out the truck, one hunter had already bargained with Kilo for the truck and offered some pistols for the joint armoury. Having no real use for the truck now, Kilo accepted the offer and the hunter set to work butchering the truck for fuel and engine parts. Kilo caught up to Alice, she was already inside the only bar left on the planet. Kilo was truly annoyed at the dancers who didn't actually contribute to the town, but he knew there'd be an uproar if he did anything about it. Overall it was a pretty lame pub without any alcohol but it was still frequented as a place to find allies for a hunting party and rest up.

'The Militia, a hunting party from this very camp, have been eliminated by a death tank roughly six kilometres to the east. Some of their friends have posted a mark for the tank in the form of forty litres of fuel, or if you would prefer 400 rounds of nine millimetre ammunition for the tank's memory core." The announced droned on more news as Alice started drawing out a map, not noticing Kilo sitting down opposite to her. 'Need a wingman?' Alice didn't look up 'Nope,' Kilo leaned back 'I guess I don't have a choice though, do I?' Alice looked up from her map and smiled for a moment before returning 'Do you need anything before you head off?' Alice shook her head, again without looking up. 'I try not to take things I have not earned,' Kilo was surprised as a waitress placed a plate of what looked like bacon in front of him 'Blokes over there said to give it to you,' the waitress pointed with her thumb and walked off, Kilo looked over to see two burly hunters with a dumb thumbs up, seems like they had a good haul. Kilo ate some of the bacon idly as he waited for Alice. 'Don't leaders have things to do?' Kilo smiled 'I just handle diplomatic things and defence,' Alice took some of the bacon 'So you're free I guess...' Alice roughly stuffed too much bacon into her mouth 'I'll go get ready, don't leave without me.' Alice wasn't making any promises.

In a half hour, Kilo was armed with a modified lightweight flame thrower and a rare Leader Dynamics T2 MK5 assault rifle using 5.56x45mm NATO rounds, a coveted ammunition type due to it's power. The flame thrower was actually for defence purposes, to confuse both the basic visual systems and the heat seeking weapons some of the Roboton used. Alice skidded to a halt and let Kilo on. As he hesitated she pulled his arms around her waist 'Hold on, okay?' Kilo nodded.

The bike darted across the forest ground, skimming past mines by a hair and hitting fallen trees dead on for a jump. Alice was barely any less agile with the added weight and quickly made it to the burnt fields, an area around the forest that had been burnt flat for warning of incoming Roboton. In a minute they were past the ash and on a main highway that would once have been packed, but now only had a few wrecks. 'We're going east, right? You thinking of hunting that tank?' Alice nodded and brushed some of her hair out of her eyes 'Should I let you off here?' Kilo laughed loudly and Alice gunned the bike.

They skidded into the city and the value of an off road bike was quickly seen. They slipped through the wrecked cars and the suspension worked wonders on the various corpses they had to pass over. Most of all, the agile handling allowed them to avoid the unexpected rocket that blazed out from nowhere. In one swift movement Alice switched the bike off, slid off of the seat, and drew her shotgun. Kilo was quickly behind with his own gear.

The Death Tank is a versatile machine as well suited to desert combat as it is to urban warfare. It's weapons include rocket launchers in heat seeking and dumb modes and dual rotary cannons. The rotary cannons were currently firing into a parked flatbed truck wreck in hopes to hit the targets behind. 'Any ideas, smart guy?' Kilo let a small burst from his flamethrower ignite a trash can and create a new target. The tank decided the flaming trash can was more of a threat and now focused it's attack on it. Alice fired several grenades over from her position. They exploded one after another, one hitting it's mark and putting a massive dent into the death tank. Kilo and Alice sprinted over to the death tank and set to work. Kilo took care of the sensors as Alice tried to retrieve the memory core from inside. 'Got it! Run!' Alice hopped off and made her way quickly back to her bike.

Turning, twisting, wishing I could fly...

My life has no truth, and I can't land on a lie...

So I fell through the ground as it passed me by...
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://deitygroup.forumotion.com
Valentine Chaos
Administrator

Experience : 166

PostSubject: Re: Story: Bandit Country   Sun Nov 07, 2010 7:07 am

Wow... This is great!

Zedralan
Administrator

Experience : 535

PostSubject: Re: Story: Bandit Country   Mon Nov 08, 2010 2:28 am

Aww, thanks Val.

Turning, twisting, wishing I could fly...

My life has no truth, and I can't land on a lie...

So I fell through the ground as it passed me by...
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://deitygroup.forumotion.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Story: Bandit Country   

Back to top Go down

Story: Bandit Country
Page 1 of 1